So you found a lost pet. First of all, thank you for caring enough to take the dog or cat off the streets, you’re her best chance of finding her way back home.
If you are unable to hold the pet for a short period of time, take the pet to Maricopa County Animal Care & Control or call to have the pet picked up by an Animal Control Officer. www.maricopa.gov/pets
If you are able to hold the pet, here are some helpful tips for reuniting the lost pet with its owner.
1. Take the pet to the nearest vet and have them scanned for a microchip.
(This is usually free.) If the pet has a chip, follow the directions given to you by the microchip manufacturer.
2. Visit www.petharbor.com to post the pet as found and download a Found Dog flyer template.
Include a photo and a brief description as well as your contact information. Post the flyers near where you found the pet, in all directions.
3. Post on Nextdoor.
Post the pet on Nextdoor, a website and smartphone app, which allows you to connect with neighbors and surrounding communities.
4. Post the pet on Maricopa County Animal Care & Control’s website.
5. Post the pet on Craigslist.
It’s helpful to withhold one detail of the pet that only an owner would know (i.e. distinctive marking, color of collar, etc…) to prevent the wrong owner from claiming a pet.
6. Post the pet on Straydar and Lost Dogs Arizona Facebook pages specifically for lost and found pets in the Greater Phoenix area.
In the event you have tried unsuccessfully to reunite the pet with its owner for a reasonable amount of time (we suggest at least 7 days), and you cannot keep the pet permanently, reach out to rescues in our community. A list can be found by visiting PACC911’s website. pacc911.org/coalition-partner-list