We know how stressful it is when a beloved pet goes missing and the most important thing you can do is to act quickly and be persistent.
Here are some steps you can take:
1. Create “Lost” posters. Include your contact information, the dog’s name, a color photo and if possible, a reward. Templates can be found at www.petharbor.com and don’t forget to register your dog as missing while you’re there. Dogs can travel great distances so be sure you start close to home and begin expanding distribution in all directions.
2. Post on Nextdoor. This is a smartphone app that allows you to communicate immediately with your neighbors and surrounding communities.
3. Post on Craigslist in the Lost & Found section. Be as descriptive as possible.
4. Visit http://gis.maricopa.gov/mapapp/animalcarecontrol/stray/index.html. This site maintained by Maricopa County Animal Care & Control will allow you to view animals picked up by Animal Control Officers, and will also allow you to post your lost pet.
6. Place dirty clothes outside of your front door, or the pet’s favorite bed or litterbox.
7. Tell everyone you know.
8. Most importantly, check with the shelters each and every day – in person if possible.
Maricopa County Animal Care & Control – East and West Valley shelters
Arizona Humane Society – Central & South Valley shelters